Custom 18th Century Wigs on Commission
We offer, on commission, custom 18th century styled wigs. These can be from any period between 1700-1799, and for men or women. We are happy to create historically accurate looks as well as fantasy-inspired 18th century wigs, including working in crazy colors (blue, pink, etc.)!
Some of the different styles we can create include:
Women's 18th Century Wigs
- The high front styles of the 1700s - 1710s (late Baroque era)
- Simple and elegant styles of the 1720s - 1750s (the tete de mouton, styles worn by Madame de Pompadour, or during the French & Indian Wars)
- The (comparatively) simpler styles of the 1760s (the high tete de mouton, the loose updos popular in England)
- The really high styles of the 1770s (modernly called the "pouf" -- styles associated with Marie Antoinette, the French court at Versailles, and the English court of George III and Charlotte, as well as simpler styles perfect for the American Revolution)
- The frizzy styles of the 1780s (modernly called the "hedgehog")
- The tousled styles of the 1790s (worn during the French Revolution)
- Fantasy wigs (goth styles, plus we have recreated a wig worn by Norma Shearer in the 1938 film Marie Antoinette)
Men's 18th Century Wigs
- The long, curly, full-bottomed wigs of the 1700s-1720s (styles associated with the Georgian court, British lawyers and judges) and its later variations, the physical wig (worn by doctors) and the square wig (worn by judges)
- The curly, long queue wigs of the 1730s
- The buckled (side rolls) wigs popular in the 1740s-1770s (perfect for soldiers and military men in the French & Indian Wars and the American Revolution)
- The high top wigs favored by macaronis and fops in the 1770s
- The bushy styles worn in the 1780s
- The tousled, natural styles of the 1790s (popular during the French Revolution)
Pricing is dependent on the specific details of your commission. Here are a few example estimates:
- Women: $400 for a 1770s high style, or $250 for a 1780s bushy style
- Men: $400 for a full-bottomed wig, or $250 for a buckle (side roll) and queue style
This price estimate includes:
- styled synthetic hair wig
- combs to attach the wig to your own hair
- styrofoam head (to help the wig keep it style when shipped/stored)
- wearing/upkeep/styling instructions
Additional charges could include:
- Lace front wigs
- Human hair wigs
- Accessories (such as the bag for a bagwig)
Shipping charges to deliver the wig to you are also additional. Any decoration (jewels, ribbons, etc.), if desired, is additional.
I will provide a detailed estimate once we have discussed your needs and preferences.
Styled wigs will only last for a certain amount of time. The more careful you are in storing, wearing, and transporting your wig, the longer it will last. I will provide you with wearing/upkeep/styling instructions, but you may at some point prefer to have your 18th century wig entirely restyled. If you purchased a custom styled wig from me, I will be happy to restyle it for you for a fee (for example, $100 for a lady's 1770s high style, $50 for a lady's 1780s bushy style, $50 for a man's buckle/queue wig). This offer/service is only available to customers who have purchased a custom styled wig from me.
Fill out the form below, and we'll be in touch to discuss your project.